Ouya emulation guide

by Stephen Heller Featured 12 Comments 19 Votes 22267 Views 01/07/2013 Back to Articles

So, you got yourself an Ouya and you want to relive your childhood all at once. Thankfully the app community has already released a series of emulators ranging from the Atari 2600, right through to the original PlayStation.

Getting them to work can be a bit of a challenge, so here's a handy guide to get up and running. We'll be looking at the SuperGNES app as an example, but the same steps apply for all other emulators.

1. Install Astro File Manager

  • Go to Make on the Ouya menu
  • Open the browser
  • Google search for "Astro File Manager APK"
  • Download the file
  • Navigate to the Settings tab on the Ouya menu
  • Open Advanced
  • Once the APK has finished downloading, install it.

2. Grab some ROM files

ROMS are legal if you own the original cart, so we're going to go ahead and assume that you are all law abiding citizens. Just do a quick Google search for Cool Roms and grab those legal backups and unzip them all onto a USB key. Each ROM type has its own filetype. SNES roms for example always end in .smc.

3. Transfer the ROMS from USB to the Ouya

  • Go to the Make section of your Ouya
  • Open up Astro File Manager
  • Navigate to the USB key you have inserted
  • Select all ROMS and click copy
  • Go to the SDCARD section of the file browser and create a new folder called ROMS
  • Paste the files in the new folder

4. Import files into the Emulator

Each of the emulator programs will feature some form of import options. For SuperGNES go to options, ROM directory, and then select your ROMS folder. The program will import your ROMS, download the box art and you will be ready to rock and roll.

So far I have tested the above method on the NES, SNES, N64 and Sega Mega Drive. The Ouya also supports GBC, Atari 2600, C64 and the original PlayStation.

Enjoy the golden age of gaming on your new open-source console!

Link to us http://pc.mmgn.com/Articles/ouya-emulation-guide
Vote for this article Log in with Facebook

Ouya emulation guide Comments

Leave a comment Log in with Facebook
This is what the Ouya essentially is, a retro games emulation device. Again a complete waste of money.
Nice write up though @Heller for anyone that cares.

Oh and enjoy using that god awful pad for it too! :P

OllyEbbz said: This is what the Ouya essentially is, a retro games emulation device. Again a complete waste of money.
Nice write up though @Heller for anyone that cares.
Oh and enjoy using that god awful pad for it too!


+1

OllyEbbz said: This is what the Ouya essentially is, a retro games emulation device. Again a complete waste of money.
Nice write up though @Heller for anyone that cares.
Oh and enjoy using that god awful pad for it too!



Emulation imo makes it worth the money.

PlayStation said:

OllyEbbz said: This is what the Ouya essentially is, a retro games emulation device. Again a complete waste of money.
Nice write up though @Heller for anyone that cares.
Oh and enjoy using that god awful pad for it too!


+1



I think that you of all people don't have a right to +1 comments about wasting money Mr I Buy Every Single Game Ever Released :P
@OllyEbbz: You do know you can use a PS3 and Xbox 360 controller on the Ouya, right?
ROMS are legal if you own the original cart
Not quite…

Can I download a Nintendo ROM from the internet if I already own the authentic game?

It is illegal to download a Nintendo ROM from the internet whether or not you own an authentic copy of that game.

Although Australian copyright law now allows limited 'format shifting' of certain copyright material for private and domestic use, this right does not allow the copying of video games to a different format.

Also, the limited right which the Copyright Act gives to make backup copies of computer programs does not apply to Nintendo video games.



www.nintendo.com.au/...

Silence said: ROMS are legal if you own the original cart
Not quite…

Can I download a Nintendo ROM from the internet if I already own the authentic game?
It is illegal to download a Nintendo ROM from the internet whether or not you own an authentic copy of that game.
Although Australian copyright law now allows limited 'format shifting' of certain copyright material for private and domestic use, this right does not allow the copying of video games to a different format.
Also, the limited right which the Copyright Act gives to make backup copies of computer programs does not apply to Nintendo video games.


www.nintendo.com.au/...



Says Nintendo. This is not Nintendo's Country, nor Nintendo's right to impose any law.

Tano said: Emulation imo makes it worth the money.


You don't have a computer? Next time you decide to upgrade yours, consider using your old one for an HTPC/Emulator/All things.

Or get this:
www.pccasegear.com/...
And:
www.pccasegear.com/...
And:
www.pccasegear.com/...

And RAM/HDD or w/e you basically have a tiny little computer probably 50% bigger than the Ouya but much more powerful, and much more versatile. That CPU/APU there is basically the one they're putting in the new consoles.

Can build a powerful tiny little PC easily these days. Only need to add a little more room to the case to fit in a GPU and you have pretty much a gaming computer in something the size of a Gamecube.
the emulation alone is worth the $100 price, no I dont want a PC tower next to my Home Theater entertainment system, just to play Retros, the ouya is perfect, small unobtrusive and quite.

cell989 said: the emulation alone is worth the $100 price, no I dont want a PC tower next to my Home Theater entertainment system, just to play Retros, the ouya is perfect, small unobtrusive and quite.


You can plug a $50 emulation device into your tv instead then.
Honestly my wii works better because i can play gamecube games too and i cant do that on the ouya at least yet. However i have demoed one and its very small and i think it could become something good later on. If you can port linux to it and run something just for emulation you could even make it more powerful. The problem i have is the touchpad is very overly sensitive and it still runs android.

Jason628 said: Honestly my wii works better because i can play gamecube games too and i cant do that on the ouya at least yet. However i have demoed one and its very small and i think it could become something good later on. If you can port linux to it and run something just for emulation you could even make it more powerful. The problem i have is the touchpad is very overly sensitive and it still runs android.



How does other emulation work on Wii though?

Tano said:

Jason628 said: Honestly my wii works better because i can play gamecube games too and i cant do that on the ouya at least yet. However i have demoed one and its very small and i think it could become something good later on. If you can port linux to it and run something just for emulation you could even make it more powerful. The problem i have is the touchpad is very overly sensitive and it still runs android.


How does other emulation work on Wii though?


Wii Homebrew channel is bitchin'.

Post a comment

Leave a comment Log in with Facebook

Recently Read

Featured PC Content

GOTY 2015: Best Game Of 2015

GOTY 2015: Best Game Of 2015

22/12/2015 Polls 17 13
Friendly Fire Show 117: It's not goodbye, it's Halo!

Friendly Fire Show 117: It's not goodbye, it's Halo!

Podcast 01/02 Articles 3 3
MMGN.com in 2016 - Why there is no new content

MMGN.com in 2016 - Why there is no new content

MMGN 31/01 News 5 14
Assassin’s Creed Chronicles: India review

Assassin’s Creed Chronicles: India review

Gryllis 13/01 Reviews 2 1
MMGN Game Of The Year 2015 Results: You decided
Tano 07/01 News 23 12
Oculus Rift costs around $1100 in Australia

Oculus Rift costs around $1100 in Australia

Gryllis 07/01 News 18 9
Wii hit A Boy & His Blob coming to current-gen

Wii hit A Boy & His Blob coming to current-gen

Gryllis 06/01 News 1 2
Rise of the Tomb Raider PC release date confirmed

Rise of the Tomb Raider PC release date confirmed

Gryllis 06/01 News 5 13

Community Content

Fallout-themed excuses to get the day off

Fallout-themed excuses to get the day off

09/11/2015 Blog 5 0

MMGN Updates

Status
Updating..
Username

nattykates is now Level 2!

nattykates 1 day ago
Username

Dave-in-lk is now Level 8!

Dave-in-lk 2 days ago
Username

parktaeshi is now Level 4!

parktaeshi 2 days ago
Username

parktaeshi is now Level 3!

parktaeshi 2 days ago
Username

parktaeshi is now Level 2!

parktaeshi 2 days ago
Username

kangle4, MyFragian commented on Special edition 2DS Pokémon Red, Blue and Yellow bundles revealed

kangle4 6 days ago