Homeschoolers

2474 Views 113 Posts Locked Social
Identify yourselves!


...This is "me"


Just wondering how many of you are homeschoolers.

I've been homeschooled all my life and did the past 4-5 years on the ACE program and am planning to finish year 12 this year

I laugh at those who think we don't socialize because we don't go to school, if they think that school is the only legitimate form of socialization then it is they (you) who are socially inept.

I laugh at those who can't spell socialize.

Question I will ask you, would you rather stay in HSing or go to a 'real' school? Would you trade the education?

To non-homeschoolers, do you have any questions? Even the 'dumb' ones, because I find the homeschooler stereotype hilarious.

I think it's just specific to the person isn't it? I mean homeschooling is no where near bad, but it is more likely to end in some social dilema's later in life if you are homeschooled as well.

An issue I thought I might bring up is Unisex schools. I had a friend that lived in Sydney, going to an all girls school, paying 5 digits a year, and her parents retired up here.

She became an insanely close friend of mine, but truthfully she just couldn't handle a co-ed school! She couldn't deal with guys, and had trouble adjusting simply because there were children that actually had pretty crap lives. It's interesting how the kind of "perfect-world" thing really hit hard (and my schools easily the best in the region).

She did tell me though that she's glad because it makes her appreciate how lucky she had it.

In the end she moved up north a week ago to go to Boarding school at another all girls rich school
Damn rich barbies
Leave a comment Log in with Facebook
She was different But still, it's interesting...

Then again, as a counter argument, do you think the social system of school could tear *some* people apart worse than the side effects of homeschooling?
my sister in laws both went to an all girl school when they were younger.. today they have little idea how to interact with men.. none of their relationships have lasted cause they have no idea what guys do or are like.. i think its great my daughter has a best friend who is a boy and homeschooling is a good idea for kids like my son who have no idea "how" to interact with anyone.. hes fine in the classroom but has problems playing with other kids so when he comes in after lunch he is frustrating and it disrupts his learning.. i would consider home schooling just for my son in the future if he continues having problems socializing cause i don't want him to feel sad and upset that he can't make friends..

tonyamanda said:homeschooling is a good idea for kids like my son who have no idea "how" to interact with anyone.. hes fine in the classroom but has problems playing with other kids so when he comes in after lunch he is frustrating and it disrupts his learning.. i would consider home schooling just for my son in the future if he continues having problems socializing cause i don't want him to feel sad and upset that he can't make friends..


That was what i was like. i did year 1 and 2 at a school. i did better at home.

slicingman said: My mother. but she has a IQ of like 416.


Interesting I've never seen a test that goes even remotely that high..
What kind of IQ test was it?

I've taken a few and they all put me in the top 0.5% but usually the score maxes at about 150-200 depending on the test. Never seen one go that high sounds like fun!

slicingman said:

tonyamanda said:homeschooling is a good idea for kids like my son who have no idea "how" to interact with anyone.. hes fine in the classroom but has problems playing with other kids so when he comes in after lunch he is frustrating and it disrupts his learning.. i would consider home schooling just for my son in the future if he continues having problems socializing cause i don't want him to feel sad and upset that he can't make friends..


That was what i was like. i did year 1 and 2 at a school. i did better at home.


i was like this as well.. its a shame my mum couldn't home school me cause i was picked on a lot and generally had a horrible time at school.. you are lucky..

Skarteh said:

slicingman said: My mother. but she has a IQ of like 416.


Interesting I've never seen a test that goes even remotely that high..
What kind of IQ test was it?


it goes up to like 160 or something doesn't it?
sorry for double post
Why is this becoming a debate?
Leave a comment Log in with Facebook

tonyamanda said: wilderdom.com/


lol yeah thats the kind of scale the ones I have done are on and according to that breakdown at the bottom I'm between professor and nobel prize winner ROFL! What a load Lowest I've gotten is 148 I think

EpicDusy said: Why is this becoming a debate?


Because its a discussion forum? The topic has just stimulated a related debate, is that such a bad thing?

Skarteh said:

tonyamanda said: wilderdom.com/


lol yeah thats the kind of scale the ones I have done are on and according to that breakdown at the bottom I'm between professor and nobel prize winner ROFL! What a load Lowest I've gotten is 148 I think

EpicDusy said: Why is this becoming a debate?


Because its a discussion forum? The topic has just stimulated a related debate, is that such a bad thing?


i have no idea what my IQ is.. but its lower when im sick i know that much.. *my sentence made no sense

EpicDusy said: Why is this becoming a debate?



this is a good debate with (so far) no flaming or spamming. It's not often something like this comes around

Anyhow, im interested in the IQ thing like Skarteh, but i think he was kidding.

I've never taken an IQ test...

BJ2 said:

EpicDusy said: Why is this becoming a debate?


this is a good debate with (so far) no flaming or spamming. It's not often something like this comes around
Anyhow, im interested in the IQ thing like Skarteh, but i think he was kidding.
I've never taken an IQ test...


Oh guess I am too stupid to pick that up *hopes of a Nobel prize fading*

Bwahaha! His specific number fooled me

EpicDusy said: Why is this becoming a debate?



Don't like it, huh?
Worlds smartest man has an IQ of 200+, in comparison my IQ is barely over 150 according to a psychiatrist.

chambalam said: I think it's just specific to the person isn't it? I mean homeschooling is no where near bad, but it is more likely to end in some social dilema's later in life if you are homeschooled as well.
An issue I thought I might bring up is Unisex schools. I had a friend that lived in Sydney, going to an all girls school, paying 5 digits a year, and her parents retired up here.
She became an insanely close friend of mine, but truthfully she just couldn't handle a co-ed school! She couldn't deal with guys, and had trouble adjusting simply because there were children that actually had pretty crap lives. It's interesting how the kind of "perfect-world" thing really hit hard (and my schools easily the best in the region).
She did tell me though that she's glad because it makes her appreciate how lucky she had it.
In the end she moved up north a week ago to go to Boarding school at another all girls rich school



Research shows students learn more efficiently as single-sex schools - look at Melbourne High or Mac.Robertson Girls, for example.
Yeah I was in the first trial of single sex classes in a normal high school, our English class was all boys and our results compared to what we got in normal classes with girls. Apparently the result was much better for the boys than girls but I doubt it changed my score much I didn't have many female friends in high school

I hated my English class it was like sitting in a classroom version of A Current Affair... the suppressed rage at the stupidity of my class was killing me!

iamtom said: Worlds smartest man has an IQ of 200+, in comparison my IQ is barely over 150 according to a psychiatrist.

chambalam said: I think it's just specific to the person isn't it? I mean homeschooling is no where near bad, but it is more likely to end in some social dilema's later in life if you are homeschooled as well.
An issue I thought I might bring up is Unisex schools. I had a friend that lived in Sydney, going to an all girls school, paying 5 digits a year, and her parents retired up here.
She became an insanely close friend of mine, but truthfully she just couldn't handle a co-ed school! She couldn't deal with guys, and had trouble adjusting simply because there were children that actually had pretty crap lives. It's interesting how the kind of "perfect-world" thing really hit hard (and my schools easily the best in the region).
She did tell me though that she's glad because it makes her appreciate how lucky she had it.
In the end she moved up north a week ago to go to Boarding school at another all girls rich school


Research shows students learn more efficiently as single-sex schools - look at Melbourne High or Mac.Robertson Girls, for example.


IQ of 150 is still mean to be genius isn't it?

BJ2 said:
IQ of 150 is still mean to be genius isn't it?


Yep

Skarteh said:

BJ2 said:
IQ of 150 is still mean to be genius isn't it?


Yep




I don't really like to say that, I prefer to say my IQ as a raw number.

iamtom said:

Skarteh said:

BJ2 said:
IQ of 150 is still mean to be genius isn't it?


Yep


I don't really like to say that, I prefer to say my IQ as a raw number.



im just saying, you were talking like your dumb or something up thar^^^

iamtom said: Worlds smartest man has an IQ of 200+, in comparison my IQ is barely over 150 according to a psychiatrist.

chambalam said: I think it's just specific to the person isn't it? I mean homeschooling is no where near bad, but it is more likely to end in some social dilema's later in life if you are homeschooled as well.

She did tell me though that she's glad because it makes her appreciate how lucky she had it.
In the end she moved up north a week ago to go to Boarding school at another all girls rich school


Research shows students learn more efficiently as single-sex schools - look at Melbourne High or Mac.Robertson Girls, for example.


thay learn more efficient but they suck at relationships..maybe im just generalizing cause Ive met a few.. id rather be semi smart and have a great marriage then be super at everything but have no idea ho to interact with the opposite smex

tonyamanda said:

iamtom said: Worlds smartest man has an IQ of 200+, in comparison my IQ is barely over 150 according to a psychiatrist.

chambalam said: I think it's just specific to the person isn't it? I mean homeschooling is no where near bad, but it is more likely to end in some social dilema's later in life if you are homeschooled as well.
She did tell me though that she's glad because it makes her appreciate how lucky she had it.
In the end she moved up north a week ago to go to Boarding school at another all girls rich school


Research shows students learn more efficiently as single-sex schools - look at Melbourne High or Mac.Robertson Girls, for example.


thay learn more efficient but they suck at relationships..maybe im just generalizing cause Ive met a few.. id rather be semi smart and have a great marriage then be super at everything but have no idea ho to interact with the opposite smex




Ah, see, my school (Melbourne high) is only a years 9-12 high school...but we manage to socialise enough with women
I just tried an IQ test here:
www.iqtest.com/

and got 117

Although im not sure weither IQ tests are meant to take into account age ect.

but thats about what I expected

BJ2 said:
Although im not sure weither IQ tests are meant to take into account age ect.



Fail

Sorry, that was a bit mean. An IQ is determined by some mathematical formula using your mental age and your actual age. So unless they asked you for your real age, it isn't anywhere near accurate.
 
Leave a comment Log in with Facebook

Featured PC Content

Favourite 2014 game so far?

Favourite 2014 game so far?

19/06/2014 Polls 23 33
Assassin's Creed Unity TV spot competition winners!

Assassin's Creed Unity TV spot competition winners!

MMGN 9 hours News 13 23
The Sims 4 is very emotional right now
Gryllis 9 hours News 0 4
How many digital subscriptions can we handle?

How many digital subscriptions can we handle?

Gryllis 1 day Articles 6 11
Watch Assassin's Creed: Unity's Arno save a lady

Watch Assassin's Creed: Unity's Arno save a lady

Gryllis 1 day News 0 4
CoD: Advanced Warfare campaign trailer

CoD: Advanced Warfare campaign trailer

Tano 1 day News 6 9
CoD: Advanced Warfare collector's editions for Aus
Gryllis 1 day News 3 5
Chuck Norris: The Game revealed?
Tano 1 day News 4 9
Australia's plans to crackdown on piracy leaked

Australia's plans to crackdown on piracy leaked

Gryllis 2 days Articles 15 12

Community Content

Curse of Naxxramas Tomorrow

Curse of Naxxramas Tomorrow

M@ndyz 22/07 News 0 8
Dino D-Day free from Bundle Stars and PCGamer

Dino D-Day free from Bundle Stars and PCGamer

A2ra3l 06/07 News 1 6
My proudest individual achievement

My proudest individual achievement

6 days ago Blog 10 0

MMGN Updates

Status
Updating..
Username

tsubibo, whaling, Skarteh commented on A staggering amount of PC gamers have no online security

tsubibo 1 hour ago
Username

commented on EA Access is not good value - Sony

Guyver 3 hours ago
Username

Macomb shared a story - Heroes in the sacred 3

Macomb 7 hours ago
Username

Macomb is now Level 4!

Macomb 7 hours ago
Username

1wiierdguy, Hugo commented on EA Access is not good value - Sony

1wiierdguy 13 hours ago
Username

Letrico is now Level 7!

Letrico 16 hours ago
Username

commented on The Last Of Us: Remastered - Picking it up?

KezDaMuss 16 hours ago
Username

commented on Hitman’s Barcode

Shahinu177 21 hours ago
Username

Tano, Pilkingbod, tsubibo, maxiboy commented on The World According to Chuck Norris could be the best game ever made

Tano 1 day ago